Tuesday 28 April 2015

Final Evaluation

Final Evaluation

I believe that my 5 shoots have met my idea for relationships, between colour and food. My first two shoots which were influenced by Sarah Graham, clearly shows the relationship between colour and food and how it can make you feel. Sarah Graham says she does her work  because "Using subjects that allow me to satisfy my obsession with colour and within them somehow communicate that elusive sense of sheer joy". She says she uses colours in her work because she tries to show joy and happiness. Which I have tried and feel matched in my work relating to Sarah Graham. My editing of my best image from each shoot gives a strong colourful and vivacious image that is conveyed. This is down to making the main subject bold and colourful so it stands out. As well as blurring the background or keeping the background as one colour so your subject stands out and is the first thing someone sees when looking at the images.

My third shoot was influenced by Sophie Calle. I believe this shoot went well but the were some negatives about it. The shoots went really well because I had the objects available to do the white food shoot but I didn't have the objects available to do other coloured food shoots. Therefore it was difficult for me to do other shoots. In addition to, I thought that if I was to do it again I would not do the same work as Sophie Calle, but my own idea that still relates to her work.

The fourth and fifth shoot was based around The Colour Wheel, which shows: primary, secondary and tertiary colours on a circular wheel, showing what colours are opposite sand similar.. This is because I wanted to do a few shoots that were focusing on contrasting primary and secondary colours against each other or two of the same. For my fourth shoot I used a yellow banana and a red apple. Both these colours are primary which worked well. This gave a strong contrast between the two colours, especially when I edited the background black so the fruits stood out even more. For my fifth shoot I used a green pepper with a handful of small red tomatoes. Red being primary, green being complimentary and being opposite on The Colour Wheel meant these were a good pair to work with. The pepper being green really makes it bold and stand out against these tomatoes that its surrounded by. With the editing I did whiten the background and increase the saturation of the pepper to make it bolder.

Overall, I believe I fulfilled my intentions as I clearly done many shoots showing the relationship between colour and food. Also, showing how a certain colour can make that food be strongly conveyed against others. In my work you can see my influences as some are generally trying to recreate their work and others are different but staying with the same idea of the influence. With my research I did sustain it and thought carefully when picking my influences as I wanted them to all relate with each other, which they did. My experiments have been clearly documented on my blog and in my portfolio with the contact sheets and explanation of why and how I done the shoot.



No comments:

Post a Comment